Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bangkok meets Manila - 4th Thailand Trade Exhibition [2012]

While walking around Makati, I saw this poster about the 4th Thailand Trade Exhibition (March 1-4) @ SMX Convention Center, MOA. Since this would be a sneak peek of  my 'dream trip' to Bangkok, I decided to go.

There were a lot of booths that offered different products like food, beauty commodities, and arts and crafts from Thailand. There was the Tong Garden which is very popular for their nuts and the manufacturer of Lactasoy which offered different flavors of soya milk.




In order to showcase Thailand's culture, there was a live demonstration on how they cook steamed rice flour dumplings or Khao Kreab Pak Mor which I was able to taste and a demo of the ancient art of Kae Sa Luk (fruit carving). [Trivia: Pak Mor means 'pot lips' in Thai]. The dish probably got its name from how it is cooked. A cloth is placed on top (lip) of the pot to cook the rice flour batter. Once the batter starts to solidify the filling is placed on top and the skin is lifted from the cloth to wrap the filling covering it. At first I couldn't recognize what the filling was made out of since it was already rolled into small balls. According to the local that I asked, it was meat. Upon tasting it, I think it had sugar and some nuts since it was quite sweet and tasty. I really loved it and I actually wanted more. However they were not selling it and the line was getting long for the free taste.


I really adored their glass rings and their accessories. They were very colorful and crafty. The glass rings were sold for P350 each while the others varied in prices according to its design. I was looking forward to see their fisherman's pants but they only have hand-painted dresses.


Good thing we were able to catch the cultural show featuring Thai Classical Dances.


It was a fun and interesting visit. I'm hoping that there would be a fifth one and I'm expecting more food haha. 
I wonder if there would also be trade expos for other countries as well. I'll try to find out and I'll keep you posted =)





No comments:

Post a Comment