Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hunger for Battle


Hunger Games vs. Battle Royale

Two weeks ago, I was able to borrow my friend’s DVD copy of Battle Royale I & II. It was also the same weekend that I was able to finish reading the third installment of Hunger Games. I was so curious about how Hunger Games was being rumored to be a rip-off of Battle Royale.

Although the main idea was similar (killing each other and only one should survive) they are still different in a lot of ways. I liked both stories but Hunger Games was the one who got me hooked. The complexity of HG made it more thrilling. There were a lot of factors to consider to determine the outcome and every event in the story would make the audience think on what would happen next. On the other hand, Battle Royale was centered on survival alone making the audience think only of how the others would be killed off. The brutality in BR was more severe than HG. I liked the humor in some parts of BR and its more realistic if it would really happen. The HG (movie) wasn’t able to capture much of the action scenes in the book, probably because HG was targeting a younger audience than BR. BR II was action-packed with the use of more firearms and involving the military. HG’s appeal was also brought about by Katniss’ sentiments in dealing with her physical and emotional struggles. I’m not sure if I would like Battle Royale better if I read it. It seems reading vs. watching could make a huge difference. =P

No comments:

Post a Comment